Arrival and settling in
Registering with the authorities
Picking up your residence permit for study purposes (3rd country nationals) or registering for an EU Registration Certificate (EU/EEA citizens) with the NDGAP (National Directorate General for Alien Policing) is your own responsibility.
Your programme coordinator will assist you with getting a certificate of enrolment and other documents issued by the University. The orientation will include an information session for our international students on the required paperwork for arranging the above with the Immigration Office.
If you apply to our programmes from a country outside the EEA/EU, you may need to apply for a Study Visa ( or „D” visa) to enter Hungary. EU citizens and some non-EU citizens too can enter Hungary visa-free. Upon successful admission to the selected programme, we will provide you with a letter of acceptance which you can use for your study visa application. In the below link you can check whether you can enter Hungary without a visa.
Countries that do not need a visa
Based on your citizenship- after your arrival- you must either:
- apply for a Residence permit for the purpose of study or
- arrange your EU Registration Card with the Immigration Office in Budapest.
You will also receive a certificate of enrolment once you have completed the registration process at the beginning of the semester.
To find out more, please visit the following pages:
The city from the airport
How to get into the city from the airport
When you arrive with all your luggage, taking a taxi is probably the fastest and easiest way to get into the city:
IMPORTANT! DO NOT trust taxi drivers waiting in the lounge! Főtaxi is the only company which is currently authorised to provide taxi service from Budapest Airport. At the exit of both terminals (Terminal 2A and 2B) you will find a taxi booth staffed by English-speaking attendants where you can order a taxi by giving the address of your destination. It guarantees regulated rates (approximately HUF 8,000 to 10,000) to get to the city. https://fotaxi.eu/
For other modes of transportation, please check:
- Official Airport Shuttle Service - Minibus
- Public Transport from Airport to City Center : The bus 100E will take you right to Deák Square in the city centre, a roughly 40 minute bus ride. You can buy the shuttle bus ticket for HUF900 ( approx. EUR 3) either from one of the (purple) ticket machines or using the Budapest Go application.
- How to get to the campus / How to get to the Dorm
Monthly Budapest pass / taxi & other city transport options
Budapest has a very efficient public transportation system. You can easily reach your destination either by bus, tram, metro or suburban railway (HÉV) within the city, usually much faster than with a car. Night service is also provided.
- Official website of the Public Transportation Company
- Trip Planner
- Metro network of Budapest
- Official website of the Hungarian railway
- Official website for train ticket purchase
- Official website for the bus company traveling outside Budapest
- Official website for bus ticket purchase for traveling outside Budapest
Need more help?
+36 70 684 7121