Open international call for rector
Type of employment:
Term of appointment:
Fixed term of 4 years.
Deadline for application submission:
31 May 2023
Place of employment:
H-1121 Budapest, Zugligeti út 9-25. Hungary
as per agreement
Date of filling the position:
The position may be filled on 1 August 2024 at the earliest.
- directing the University’s three-tier (BA, MA, PhD/DLA) education, non-degree education, research and innovation, and other creative and scientific activities;
- co-developing and directing the implementation of the strategy as it relates to the University’s core activities, in line with the strategic principles and objectives identified by the Foundation maintaining the University;
- co-developing and managing the University’s domestic and international professional network;
- managing organizational units belonging to the Rector’s Office;
- co-developing and participating in the operation of the University’s quality assurance system, as well as in the development of performance, outcomes and impact evaluation, human resources, and development strategies and plans related to the University’s core activities;
- co-developing systems of academic, professional, and well-being contributions to students and the Faculty and cooperation with the CEO in operating these systems;
- exercising employer’s rights as specified in the policies
• dynamic, future-oriented thinking;
• highly organized; proven skills in leadership: a strong sense of responsibility with a cooperative approach to leading, managing and supporting people;
• general understanding of the complex nature of the ecological, geopolitical, economical, technological, and socio-cultural challenges of contemporary Europe and the Central and Eastern European region;
• coherent concept on the future of higher education in general and the purpose of universities in the 21st century;
• in-depth understanding of the art and design higher education space;
• a holistic approach to knowledge; ability, curiosity, and aspiration to build bridges across different areas of art, design, science, and enterprise;
- exceptional communication skills; ability to represent the University in-house and in the public square;
- perfect command of written and spoken English;
- large and relevant international network;
- minimum three (3) years of executive experience in higher education;
- minimum ten (10) years of experience as an educator or education organizer, with an experience in higher education teaching; a deep appreciation of teaching and administrative excellence;
- academic degree (nostrified or recognised in Hungary, or agreeing to have their academic degree obtained abroad nostrified in Hungary);
- University Professor title, or credible evidence of ongoing process for obtaining a University Professor title (in the case of a title previously conferred by an institution outside Hungary, agreeing to participate in a process required for appointment to University Professor at MOME);
- high level of integrity, fairness, and exceptional judgment;
- a strong commitment to intellectual pluralism, freedom of thought, and the diversity of opinions
- no criminal record and confirmation of no debarment or disqualification from pursuing the required activities;
- willingness to relocate (with family) to Budapest, Hungary;
- experience with leading change processes in complex organizations;
- experience in fundraising, especially within the European Union’s research and innovation funding framework;
- proven track record of cross-border professional collaborations within Europe and/ or the Central and Eastern European region.
Applications should include the following:
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copies of Degrees or Certification
- Passport First Data Page
- Contact Information For Two (2) Professional References
- Certificate of no criminal record issued within the last three months, or foreign equivalent
- A draft of the envisaged Rector's programme, in line with the University's public strategic objectives and efforts
Meeting of all eligibility criteria will be confirmed based on all required documents submitted by the submission deadline specified.
Submission of the application:
Please send your application and supporting documents to the following e-mail address with the title ‘Application for Rector’:
Please indicate that you are applying for the Rector of MOME post in the subject line of your e-mail.
After the publication of the call for applications, those interested in applying will be offered the opportunity for personal on-site orientation visits by appointment with the University between 1 January 2023 and 30 April 2023.
Application review method and deadline
Following the application review, the timeline of the period until the Rector takes office:
- 1–31 January 2024 – Signing of the Rector’s work contract
- 1 February – 31 May 2024 – Preparation, referral for appointment to Rector
- 1 June – 31 July 2024 – Handover and takeover
- 1 August 2024 – Taking of office by the new Rector
In partnership with the Foundation
Since 2020 MOME is operating as a private university with ongoing public subsidies— alongside earned revenues and income from grants and R&D driven business partnerships. Its governance and oversight, following international benchmarks, are provided by the Foundation for Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design and its Board, led by the Chairman to whom the Rector reports. At the Foundation’s initiative, MOME has created the Future University project, launched its first English-language MA programmes, reinvented its R&D activities, launched the digital transformation of the university, and granted the most substantial pay rise in the history of Hungarian higher education.
Named after László Moholy-Nagy, the paradigmatic Hungarian-born cross-disciplinary figure of 20th-century, who advocated the role of art and design in shaping society and intertwining with technological innovations, MOME’s unique mix of education, creation, research, innovation, and technology provides an opportunity for the operation of a particular creative ecosystem that is unlike any other university of its kind. MOME is an open university - built on three pillars, the Academy, the Technology Park and the Innovation Center - where students and faculty think and act together, mindful of their social role, actively engaging civic groups, state and local representatives, and industry and market players. MOME has a cohesive professional and human community. It seeks to be an increasingly active player in Hungary, in the East-Central European region, and in the wider international arena.
Seeking to become the leading arts and design university in the region, MOME is now developing world-class educational offerings in an outstanding campus environment. MOME’s EUR 60 million campus, situated in a verdant residential district of Buda, was completed in 2019, providing MOME with one of the most modern institutional infrastructures in European higher education.
This infrastructure, which includes 23,000 square meters of buildings and 15,000 square meters of public parks, complements a comprehensive transformation of the university’s operational model.
The Future University initiative
The Future University project is an interdisciplinary project for developing the training model of the future. It aims to create a new, future-oriented, more flexible strategic framework that meets the challenges of the 21st century and the needs of the new generations. The work started in 2022 will proceed for several years and aims to redesign the program structure (degree and non-degree), the curricula, and the teaching and learning methodology in a bold, comprehensive, and authentic way. Rector candidates will have the opportunity to learn about the concepts and formulate their own considerations. The new rector taking office in 2024 will play a definitive role in the development of the final framework and the multi-stage implementation of the Future University model. With this responsibility, the new rector will be a key leader of one of the most important and dynamic eras in the history of the university.
For more information about the call for application, please do not hesitate to contact our colleague at Foundation for Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design: